Glad to be drawing characters. I'm definitely more comfortable with it than with buildings or weapons. I like the look of the right orc, the most, though the clothing feels a little bit roman despite the fact that it's partially based on some nordic everyday wear. Guess it's because it looks like a toga. Still a little iffy on proper painting technique, though, as I'm typically a pencil guy, so critiques on how to improve textures or shading are more than welcome. I feel like my lines are getting less scratchy, but I still got a ways to go.
I think largely your painting issues are just not paying as much attention to where the light is coming from as you could, and then under emphasizing it. Light doesn't make such small/thin reflections while leaving everything is in middle tones. The colors feel flat, but that's because you're pretty much using two dominate values. Gray, and Dark gray. You have very subtle variations, but they don't convey the form. ( http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WuytbZw5fCI/UEjBn6f_xNI/AAAAAAAABEc/LWgmhmPu6Oo/s1600/sphere.jpg ) Look at that for example, you have a clear light, a clear dark, and everything that shifts in between. Characters have a lot more shape to them, but the principle of spreading light is the same. Establish your lightest light, your darkest dark where the shadows are most intense, and then get the values transitions as the light rolls over the body of the character.
ReplyDeleteCould always try making a value scale to compare parts of the color against as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-jkKJmSW_8
I wanted to add, I do like the designs. You're right the one feels very Roman. The one on the left feels a lot more Norse on first appearance, and I like how his outfit feels more defensive.
ReplyDelete